French Onion Soup with Cheesey Croutons
100g/8 oz butter
8 white onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp dried oregano, fresh thyme or rosemary
900ml/30 fl oz good quality beef broth
For the cheese croutons
4 slices of sourdough bread
80g/3 oz gruyere cheese, grated
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
2. Place a heavy bottomed saucepan over a medium heat and add the butter. Once the butter has melted, turn down the heat to low and stir in the onions. Cover and leave to cook for 10 minutes, until soft,
3. Next stir in the brown sugar and garlic and let the onions brown uncovered and slightly caramelize, stirring every few minutes until they become a deep golden colour. Stir in a teaspoon of the dried oregano, fresh thyme or rosemary. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Pour in the beef broth and allow to cook for a further 30 minutes.
5. To make the cheesy crouton sprinkle the gruyere cheese on top of the slices of sourdough bread and pop under a grill to melt.
6. Serve the onion soup in heated bowls and place the cheesy croutons on top.