Guinness & Brown Bread Ice-cream
300g/2 cups brown breadcrumbs, from at least one day old bread
/½ cup brown sugar
250ml/1 cup milk
250ml/1 cup double cream
150g/¾ cup sugar
5 egg yolks
1 vanilla pod
150ml/⅓ cup Guinness
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C/360°F/Gas Mark 5.
2. Place the breadcrumbs and brown sugar in a bowl and mix well. Then sprinkle the sugared breadcrumbs on to a baking tray, and spread out evenly. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are slightly darker and the sugar has melted. Stir occasionally while they are baking. Once they are baked, allow them to cool.
3. Pour the milk, Guinness and cream into a saucepan and place over a medium heat and stir in the sugar. Slit the vanilla pod down its length with a small sharp knife and scoop out the tiny black seeds and stir into the saucepan. Reduce the heat, and stir until all the sugar has dissolved, then remove from the heat.
4. Place the eggs yolks into a large mixing bowl and mix together. Then slowly whisk in the warmed cream and milk mixture to the eggs. Then transfer the mixture back into the saucepan, and place over a low heat and stir until you get a custard consistency.
5. Remove the custard from the heat and stir in the cooled sugared breadcrumbs. Mix well.
6. Pour the ice cream mixture into container, and freeze until set.